Old Trinity Methodist Church, is a historic Methodist church and national historic site located at Broad and Lower Streets in Elizabethtown. It was built about 1848, and is a two-story, rectangular, frame Federal-style church. Surrounding the church on three sides is the church cemetery. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989
Old Trinity Methodist Church is a significant part of Trinity Methodist Church as well as part of the community and surrounding areas. We plan to continue to provide services there periodically which will be available for the entire community, such as Easter Sunrise service, Mid-week Lenten service, and the Hanging of the Greens service during Advent. The Church is also available for weddings and funerals.
The Old Trinity Church Building remains maintained by Trinity Methodist Church. Trinity provides the utilities for this property. Funds must be raised by the church for the cemetery and building maintenance and repairs.
For several years the Old Trinity Church Team has been working to restore the outside of the church building to its original state. In recent years, the Old Trinity Team voted to put vinyl siding n the outside and install D2:50 type windows. These upgrades will help to preserve our 1848 building for future generations.
Neither of these projects were paid for out of the Old Trinity Cemetery Fund; nor did they cause us to lose our status of being a historical site, since at least 25% of the original church building remains as it originally was.
Old Trinity Cemetery is a separate entity and is owned by the individuals and families who have purchased plots there. The annual care of the 603 gravesites in the Old Trinity Cemetery is a continuing expense that is funded by fundraisers and donations given by church members, relatives, and friends of those who own plots there.
The cemetery was impacted by hurricanes Florence and Michael. In recent years, the following improvements have been made: (1) sinking stones and markers have been taken up and replanted, (2) dirt and grass have been placed in the areas as needed; and (3) badly washed-out areas have been filled in with dirt and grass. The cemetery now has the appearance of a well-kept cemetery and we will continue to monitor the cemetery and fix any additional repairs as needed.
Old Trinity Committee:
Lin Weeks, Chair Kathy McGurgan Betty Hilton Hal Porter
Nelson Goodnight Shirley Hough Annette Strouse Ann Weeks
Cathy Kinlaw Tim Kinlaw